Saturday, March 17, 2012

Hnnnnnnggrrr

So, after a relatively ungruelling set of flights (thanks, codeine!), I managed to drag my clearly oversized bags and pathogen-packed sinuses to my hostel. The combination of the wheels on my suitcase and the shit-tonne of gravel on every footpath may have broken some noise restrictions. Not that I am complaining about said gravel, as a bit more of it may have prevented me from stacking it spectacularly in the market square (which was, of course, full of a large number of suitably dignified onlookers).

Finnish is looking every bit as daunting as I expected, though the infallibly helpful (and perfect-English-speaking) populace is making it a great deal easier. Problematically, I cannot even pronounce my own name in Finnish properly. I think this illustrates, fairly accurately, my linguistic competence currently.

Thanks to my aforementioned diseased upper respiratory tract, my activities so far have been restricted to 'walk around a bit', 'go to bed at half past seven', and 'try to untangle all the hideous bureaucratic details that need seeing to'. They bear a comforting resemblance to the codependent nature of Australian paperwork (ie. to get thing A you need thing B; to get thing B you need thing C; to get thing C you need thing A).

Since I have been holed up in my nest, coughing pitifully into my water-mug, the only pictures I have so far involve either the contents of my room or the view out the window. How cosmopolitan of me!




3 comments:

  1. 'Finnish is looking every bit as daunting as I expected ...'

    Obviously you should never have abandoned Linguistics for science.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If linguistics could have helped me do so much as ask for a personal bus card ('henkilökohtaisen matkakortin', and I have no idea which case it's even in) then I will pledge my eternal allegiance.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh!!! Pretty and misty!!! That is COOL!!!!!

    I think I'm going to thoroughly enjoy reading your blog, I love how YOU it is!!!

    ReplyDelete